Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Need to Find a Good Book?

Fall is finally in full swing, things are starting to cool down, and pumpkin spice everything is everywhere.  The cooler it is outside, the more I feel like reading.  Not sure what it is, but a cool day makes me feel like curling up with a mug of coffee and a good book.  Here are some of my great books on missions:

Passion for the Heart of Godby John Willis Zumwalt
I heard the author speak while attending Perspectives on the Christian World Movement, and I was really blessed by what he had to say.  He was a great speaker- humorous, passionate, and very real.  He shared about growing up as an MK in Taiwan, and about how he has been involved in missions as an adult.  I don't buy a lot of books, but I knew before his talk was done that this book would be worth it.  This book did not dissappoint.  If you want to be informed about missions and be challenged then this is a great read.  Buy it here: Passion for the Heart of God

Cross-Cultural Connections: Stepping Out and Fitting In Around the World

By Duane Elmer
I read this book for a class I took in Seminary, but it's an easy read.  The author writes in a warm, relaxed style that makes it an easy read.  The book is aimed at people who will be more or less immersed in another culture, but I think it's worth reading even if you aren't planning on leaving the country.  The advice given is helpful even with dealing with people who have different personality types.  It would be a great resource to someone who is wanting to reach out to internationals in their area.  Get it here: Cross-Cultural Connections.

Encountering Missionary Life and Work: Preparing for Intercultural Ministry

by Tom Steffen, Lois McKinney Douglas, various
This is a book for anyone considering missions as a career (or perhaps for those who be going on longer short-term trips).  It is a collection of articles written by various authors, and it covers a variety of topics that effect missionary life.  I read it for the same Seminary class as I read the book above.  This book is not as easy of a read as the other two (it varies by article since there are different writers), but the information in it is food for thought if you are considering going into missions.  It covers topics such as conflict on the field, MK (missionary kid) education, and relationships (married? single?  both have their unique blessings and challenges).  Get it here: Encountering Missionary Life and Work

By the Way...The links I posted are all to Amazon.com.  I am not paid by them in any way, it just happens to be where I usually buy books.  One thing I do want to mention though is the Amazon Smile Program.  By buying things through smile.amazon.com rather than regular amazon.com 0.5% of your purchase goes to the organization of your choice- and World Gospel Mission is one of organizations you can choose.  It costs you nothing extra, and it's quick and easy to sign up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment