Wednesday, August 20, 2014

James 1:27

When I first heard it, it made me wince.  When I read more about it, it brought tears to my eyes.  It's only half-way through 2014, and over 17,500 children have come to the US from Honduras.  The town I live in (Tahlequah, Oklahoma) has a population of only 16,300 people!

Their reasons for coming vary, but there are certainly themes.  Some come because they don't see economic opportunities where they live (Almost 65% of Hondurans live below the poverty line).  Others come to escape violence (Honduras has the highest homicide rate in the world).  Some come to be reunited with family members who have already made the journey.  The majority of those who come are boys between the ages of 15 and 17, but the number of girls and younger children is on the rise.  They risk a lot when they go on the 1000 mile journey.  They are vulnerable to violence.  There are deserts and other natural obstacles which pose danger to those passing through.  If the family of the child has hired a coyote (smuggler), there is a chance that the coyote will take the child, and abandon him or her hundreds of miles from home, taking the money.

What can be done?

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27 (NIV)

As the Body of Christ, we are called into action.  Needs like these present opportunities, not only for us to meet physical needs, but spiritual ones as well.

That's why Escuela El Sembrador exists.  El Sembrador not only provides educational opportunity, but plants the Word of God in the hearts of it's students.  The education they are given prepares them for leadership and provides them with more opportunities than they would otherwise have.  Many study in universities when they leave (some even earn scholarships!). Some return to El Sembrador after graduation to go to the Bible Institute and become pastors in the Honduran Holiness Church. Others get jobs or return home to family and are able to use what they learned at El Sembrador to make their families farms or businesses more profitable.

But as great as vocational and educatoinal opportunites are, they pale in comparison to what they boys are taught about Christ.  Church services, Sunday school, and Bible studies are a large part in what makes El Sembrador so special.  School administration and staff along with missionaries pray for the students, spend time with them and teach them about the love of Christ in a first-hand way. Students leave with lives changed.  They go home and tell their families about their new found hope.

How does that relate to the children who come to the US from Honduras?  They come seeking hope and opportunity.  The risks they take to leave their homeland and families and make the long, dangerous journey underscore the needs within Honduras.

Escuela El Sembrador offers hope and opportunity.  It offers an education- and Christ.  Coming from the US I have been blessed to receive a wonderful education.  More-over, I have had many opportunities to learn about the Bible and about Christ.  It's wonderful to see how many around me here in the US continue to be blessings to future generations.  It's a blessing meant to be shared.  I've been called to share my blessings in Honduras, won't you partner with me?

Ways you can partner:

1) Pray.  Join my prayer team by sending me a Facebook message and email and let me know whether you would prefer email updates or to be added to a private Facebook group where I share prayer requests every 1-2 weeks.  My email is: Sarah.Larson@wgm.org

2) Give.  Provide for the financial needs of the ministry through monthly, quarterly, annual or one time gifts.  Send me an email with your address to receive a prayer card and a donation form, or go to this website to donate online: www.wgm.org/Larson

3) Connect.  Connect me with churches and people you know.  I really need your help!  I've found that the best way for me to find opportunities to share is when people like you help me connect with churches and people you know. 








No comments:

Post a Comment