Sunday, December 8, 2013

Calling all Chefs!

Do you like to cook?  Have any great recipes to share?  How about tips and tricks?  Well- I am looking for them!  I am compiling a recipe book.

Where did they idea for a recipe book come from?
It all started when I was trying to think of what to give my friends, the Solheims for a Christmas/ going away gift (they will be returning to Honduras in February).  I decided that a cookbook would be a great idea for the whole family.  From there I got to thinking-  I have another friend, Adria, who will be doing missions in Honduras- I bet she could use the same cook book, and so could I when I return...and while I am at it, why don't I put a PDF file online for anyone who wants it, missionary and otherwise?!

How will it work?
I will create a PDF file that can be downloaded and printed by anyone who would like a copy.  When the pages are printed they will fit nicely into a regular 3-ring binder.  A cover and a piece for the spine of the binder will also be included, along section dividers.  Simply print everything out and put it in the binder.  You can punch holes in the pages themselves or put them in page protectors (which is probably a good idea since cooking can get messy!).  And if you are curious about the cookbook, but don't want another cookbook cluttering you home you can download it and look at the recipes on your computer.

What's different about this cookbook?  Why would it be good for missionaries?
I will be making a special (and hopefully large) section for special tips and tricks as well as substitutions and conversions.  It's not unusual for new missionaries to come to the field not knowing how to cook or only knowing how to make things from mixes.  In Honduras (and many other countries from what I have heard) selection is often more limited and more things must be made from scratch.  Many things just aren't available (canned cream soup or taco seasoning for instance), which can be frustrating, but there it's possible to make mixes for those things from basic ingredients which ARE available.  So I want to put together a section of helpful hints and tricks.

I am looking around the internet for good tips, tricks, and recipes.  I am going to include basic recipes (bread, lasagna) along with fun favorites, but I also want to leave room in the binder for recipes collected from family members.

Do you have to be a missionary to make use of the cookbook?
 If you are into cooking with more basic and natural ingredients then the section on mixes and substitutions could be very good for you, plus it's a place where you can put recipes you've collected that aren't in a cookbook.  

Why do I want your help?
Well, a) because I bet you have some great recipes and will think of things that I won't, and b) because it will be way more special with your recipes and hints. I will include your name by your contributions (unless you would rather be anonymous, just tell me not to include your name).   When I was in Honduras I printed out some basic recipes and copied a few of my mom's recipes and put them in a small photo album.  Trust me, when you are overseas it is really really special to have reminders those at hope who are praying for you!

How can I contribute?
You can leave a comment on this blog, send me a message on Facebook, or send me an email at Sarah.Larson@wgm.org .  I am looking forward to hearing from you!

If you have noticed that I have been online less it's because I am in the middle of moving to another state!  Please pray for my move especially with all of the icy weather we have been experiencing here in the Midwest!

No comments:

Post a Comment